Saturday, June 03, 2006

UFO: Charlotte's Web

I finished my big paper! Yay! That means I get to knit this weekend! I'm also considering going into school to catch some of the reunion festivities, but it's pouring hard out, so I feel much more like knitting than like wandering around in the rain. For now, I think I will knit. I might go in later.

Last August, I started knitting Charlotte's Web, my first lace shawl project. I loved the colors, the yarn, the pattern, everything! And then I got into the third, then the fourth color, and the number of purl stitches on the way back across the wrong side just kept getting bigger, and bigger, and more and more annoying. (They were especially annoying for the cyst that had developed on my right wrist). So I put it down, sometime in September or October. I can't remember which. And CW sat on a shelf for months and months, entirely untouched. Until now, when this blog has inspired me to go through all my UFOs and catalog them here so I get back into them again. I was actually surprised that taking things out (there are a few others, yes) to photograph them did, in fact, get me excited about knitting them again. The feel of the yarn, the texture of the pattern, the excitement of the eventual FO...

Plus, I want to knit other lace objects, but I've told myself I can't until I finish CW. So, back to CW it is.



(It looks a bit like a psychedelic manta ray, doesn't it? I really hope the blocking cleans it up!) I actually have a fifth color of yarn to add, but I think I'm going to forgo it. I'm a short person, so hopefully 4 sections of color will be nough. Plus, I'm eager to move on to other projects. Thus, it's just 8 more rows until I cast off, which hopefully will be this weekend. And then I need to learn to do the crochet chain so that I can block it so I can add the fringe ... Or do you add fringe and then block? ... You get the picture. Now, back to knitting!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's going to be gorgeous! Good for you, finishing up those projects!

Anonymous said...

The shawl will be gorgeous once it's done. I'm so glad you like knitting lace. It's my favorite thing to knit. Will the shawl be done in time for J & L's wedding?

Suzanne said...

OOOoooo. Pretty.

Anonymous said...

Headed here from the CW knitalong site...your CW is very pretty, I love the way the colors go together. I blocked mine first, then added the edging, and then lightly steamed the fringe afterwards and it worked really well.

Anonymous said...

Looks great, eventually I will get mine started!