Thursday, August 17, 2006

Done, and we're off!

Yay! I took my first PhD (general/qual/comp) exam yesterday, and that one is over with! I feel pretty good about it, so long as that's understood within the parameters of "perfectionism is really going to hurt right now.") I took the full amount of time to do it (8 hrs) and nearly fell asleep during my congratulatory dinner with Coffeeboy last night. The room I was in was kind of cold, so my Charlotte's web shawl kept me nice and warm. All that typing seems to have taken its toll as my cyst is back - oh, well.

Today I slept in and then ran about town to get ready for a camping trip this weekned with Coffeeboy and his friends. He and one other guy are turning 29.999999 (repeating... i.e., 30) and so a bunch of our friends are gathering for camping up in upstate New York. I haven't done much camping in recent years, but as a kid, it was one of my favorite summer time activities. This time, it will be with knitting! And a cake, precariously packed in a cooler.

Now that exam #1 is done, I'll be taking a few days off to recuperate and, of course, to knit! Expect to hear more about that after I return on Sunday! Until then, have a wonderful weekend.

4 comments:

Sheepish Annie said...

Congratulations!!! Enjoy a well-deserved break. I'll bet you did great!

Anonymous said...

Good job! HAve fun this weekend!

Lone Knitter said...

Yea! Yea! Yea! Congratulations on getting through your exam. I don't know how anyone can survive an eight-hour ordeal like that! That's amazing. My first Ph.D. exam was only four hours, and that felt long enough. Happy camping (and knitting)!

Teri S. said...

Congrats on finishing the exam! I'm not sure that I would have the fortitude for a Ph.D program. Have a great camping trip! I'm jealous (my husband is out climbing in the Sierras as I type) and so's my sock. Even though it's a Trek Along With Me sock, it hasn't been on any hikes. Oh, well...