Tuesday, January 22, 2008

I thought I lost the sock love

I've been having a problem with socks lately. Specifically, socks using those hand-painted yarns I often love so much.  I mean, just take a look at this one. 


laburnum or not

This one, folks, is supposed to have a pattern. A pretty pattern called "Laburnum." (It's in the Sensational Knitted Socks book, a 5-stitch pattern).  You can see some examples over there at Flickr. But my sock, it does not have a pattern. Hence, it's been frogged.

Or there's this one, Cascading Leaves. Again, check these out. See those nice little leaves? Now look at this:

cascading leaves

Ugh, right? OK, it's not that bad, but it is a little bit, well, blotchy. I haven't quite frogged this one, but I'm tempted.

In desperation, I pulled out some Koigu last night, a nice, reliable handpaint. A colorway, I should add, that hadn't worked well with a pattern involving cables and lace. You'd think I'd have pulled out a nice, and definitely reliable solid color. But no, I decided I wanted to try this particular yarn. After all, it's blue and white and makes me think of winter sunsets. After a bit of poking around on Ravelry, I thought that the Hedera pattern might have just the right amount of interest, but I wasn't so sure about the whole handpainted business. I gave it a shot last night. This is what I found:

Hedera 1 Hedera 2

I like it. In fact, I really like it. Color me surprised, hand-paint me amazed! I think what you see there must be my personal record for the most sock knit in one evening yet! Thank goodness, my sock love hasn't, as I had feared, quite left me yet.

5 comments:

Sheepish Annie said...

Wow! You are so right!!! That is one good lookin' sock. Nice pick!

Mia said...

Sometimes you just have to put a sock down and start another one to get the sock love going again. I like the new one you just started though.

Jessica said...

*sigh* They look great. Could you please pass the sock mojo though? Mine seems to be seriously MIA...

Anonymous said...

You're right - that last sock is just beautiful with the yarn and color together! =)

Anonymous said...

I though I was the only one having this problem. The new sock looks fantastice and I can't wait to see them finished.