Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Music in the mountains

I know, I know. This is a knitting blog, and all I can talk about is where I live. (I also know that you'll hang in there for the knitting, too. :-) I promise, you don't need to see pictures of boxes (you've seen your own) and you don't want to hear about the article I'm revising or how I'm easing back into dissertation work. Instead, I have pictures from Asheville's "Shindig on the Green," a weekly, free mountain music festival that takes place every weekend during the summer. Coffeeboy and I caught this past weekend's Shindig, and we had a very nice time, indeed!

I got a little bit of work done on my monkey sock...

Shindig and sock.JPG Shindig on the Green.JPG

...as we watched singers, pickers, fiddlers, and cloggers, adults and kids alike, showing their stuff on the stage.

Shindig cloggers.JPG

We even got up to join in the circular square dance! Well, OK, we stayed seated for the first round (that's the one in the photo), we moved our arms around for the "seated dance" ("everyone bow to your neighbor out there in the audience!"), and finally, for the second dance, we got up and ran to the big circle up front, confident this time that everyone else would likely be just as confused about who was "odd" or "even" and how, exactly, to promenade, as we were.

Shindig dancers.JPG

Sunday was Coffeboy's birthday, so to celebrate, we took yet another hike! But before hitting the trail, we stopped to look at a few more waterfalls.

Looking Glass Falls.JPG Daniel Ridge trail.JPG
Looking Glass Falls and Daniel Ridge Trail

Then, I took Coffeeboy out to dinner at Asheville's premier vegetarian restaurant, The Laughing Seed. The food was delicious and creative (we had wild mushroom enchiladas with mole sauce and feta, as well as mushroom risotto cakes with a beet-truffle sauce: yum!) and quite reasonably priced compared to what we were expecting! We ended the night at another Asheville establishment, Old Europe Cafe, sharing an "opera slice" and drinking decaffeinated cappuccinos while reminiscing about our favorite locales in Boston's North End. Yum. (And happy birthday, sweetie!!)

Those monkey socks, by the way, are almost done... so I should have an FO - or even two - to show you soon!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you're enjoying your new home! I hope you soon love it as much as you loved Boston.

The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Ohh, Asheville! Such a great place, glad you're enjoying it.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you all are easing into small-town life pretty well- and I love the waterfall pictures- I say, keep 'em coming!

Sheepish Annie said...

Happy Birthday to Coffeeboy! I'm so glad that he had such a beautiful setting in which to celebrate. And the dinner at the Laughing Seed sounds just divine!

Greta_Jane said...

Can't wait to see some of this wonderful place!

Zarzuela said...

I'm so glad you are having such fun in your new surroundings. I'm definitely going to be hitting you up for restaurant suggestions when we come down to camp next year. :)

Jessica

Anonymous said...

So many great musicians are based in Asheville. Of all the places for an academic to get flung... Coffeeboy drew a pretty good card! (And: happy birthday!)